Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Precious

Ok, everyone, guess who received a Kindle Fire for Christmas! THIS GIRL! Admittedly, I have been avidly opposed to e-readers of any sort because I love the feel of a real book. Yes, I am that girl; the one you catch in the rows of the library sniffing books with a look of pure ecstasy on her face. I am the girl who has stacks of books she hasn't read yet and keeps getting more because I absolutely love looking at full bookshelves and get excited thinking about all the adventures waiting for me there. So, with this in mind, I staunchly resisted getting a Kindle no matter what the other half said about how great they are. And then my Mom gave me one, and I discovered they are full of awesome.

My precious.

Let's discuss.
I have a Kindle Fire, right? So, not only can I download books from Amazon and great ebooks from sites like Smashwords, but I can also watch movies on Netflix, YouTube, surf the web, Music, yada yada yada. It's almost like having a tablet (or so I understand; I don't actually have one myself. I am way behind in the technology). Here are the pros and cons I have encountered:

Pros:
You can watch movies with amazing clarity
Quick e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook checks
Look up that cah-razee YouTube video all the kids are talking about
Lots of Apps to play with (which I really don't, but my kids do)
Parental controls for kiddo play (seriously, my kids figured it out in about 2.5 seconds)
Access to Amazon for a bazillion book titles
Lots of storage for said books
I have Prime, so I have free movie rentals and access to free books
You can accessorize!
Easy to use, even for me

Cons:
Easy for quick browsing, but you are limited on the amount of internetting you can do (yes, I just made that word up). Really, a laptop is more convenient for cut/paste/sharing/multiple window usage.
I am challenged when it comes to typing with a stylus. For in depth writing, a keyboard is the way to go.
I am intimidated.
It's not a real book.
There could be more, but it's early and I need coffee.

In the end, aside from the occasional ebook and fanfiction, I really haven't read much with my Kindle. I still prefer the real thing, but I can see the appeal of having hundreds of books at your disposal with just a click. I can foresee this coming in handy.

My vote:


No comments:

Post a Comment